Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Mustang Owners

When your three sons find work on two different coasts and your eldest son and his wife, take themselves and your grand-kids 3000 miles away what do mom and dad do?

Buy a 1965 Mustang of course!

For four years my husband, a local letter carrier walked by homes with old cars sitting in garages. And every time he saw a Mustang…anything older than a 1970, he would ask about it.

But nobody wanted to sell -- until we saw a 1981 Mustang sitting on a corner near our house and stopped to take a look. We quickly went home and dragged our neighbor down to the corner and take a look at it for us.

Our neighbor can tear down a car and have it looking brand new in no time.  He looked at it, declared it would take a lot of work and mentioned that there was a pretty little 1965 sitting down at a local tattoo shop. Would we like to drive by?

Would we like to drive by????

Of course we would. We went in to the tattoo shop, met a nice young man who said he had to sell his Harley or his Mustang for a down-payment on a home. Thankfully he chose the Mustang.

He even took us for a ride in her. When we got out we knew were going to buy that car. And we also knew we had better get it quick. It was hot-shot red, with a 289 engine in it and boy did it roar up good. Ten inch tires on the back kicked us into high gear.

We could hardly sleep that night. Since my husband had to work the next day, my neighbor rode along to make sure I could get the car home.

Neighbor said, “You’d better be there when he opens at noon with cash in your hand. That car is going to go fast.”

So, I rushed to the bank. Got the cash and we were waiting when the owner drove up to open his store the next day.

As I was counting out the cash on the counter some young guy came in and said, “My boss wants to buy that Mustang for his son.”

The owner looked at me, hooked his thumb my way and said, “She just bought it.”
   
The young man howled out loud, “Darn.”

And I tell you I could not help it. I smiled.

Take a look at the photo and tell me we didn’t get a good deal.



My husband spent a couple summers adding, adjusting, redoing, rewiring, and all sorts of things to make our girl, whom we dubbed, Ruby (she is red and she is a jewel after all) look really good.  Step on the gas and everyone knows Ruby is around!

He shined her up and we took her out to our downtown car show and parked her near all the other oldies but goodies.

An investment. That’s what we said when we bought it. And sure enough we are the proud owners of a 1965 red Mustang.

And when the sons and grandsons come home…well, you know they like to lay that accelerator down.

Patricia Strefling

No comments: