Monday, September 17, 2012

Humbled by One Simple Deed



Do you ever feel compelled when something visible grabs you? When you know it’s not you making the plan. It’s an overpowering feeling of knowing you must do this thing?

I pulled up at a Wendy’s drive-through in my hometown today and while waiting saw a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk outside the door. He was neat, had a large backpack sitting next to him. He was almost invisible until I looked again.

Suddenly I knew what I had to do. No thought. Just a knowing. I ordered my food and an extra meal. My heart was beating fast. By now I was on the other side of the building and prayed that when I pulled back around I’d find him still there.

My heart felt joy when I saw him. I pulled up, not knowing what to say, handed him the food and said, “God bless you.”

He took the bag and standing next to my window, thanked me more than once. I was compelled to say something like, “Jesus, it’s Jesus.”

Then looking me in the eye he said, “Give me 30 seconds?”

I said okay, thinking a pitch for money was coming.

Instead he bowed his head, took my hand and prayed for me. It went something like this, “Jesus I thank you for this lady, praying over her, her health, her safety, and her faith. Amen.”

I, who thought I was helping him, found out that a man that I did not know was so grateful for being seen, given food, for whatever reason, took the time to pray for me.

I asked his name and told him mine.

What came to mind was this:

“Do not forget to entertain strangers, 
for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.”
 Hebrews 13:2 NIV

I met a man named James, today, who I sense I will see again in heaven. And  I met him by one simple act of obedience in that compelling moment when God allowed me to choose.  To bring him food or ignore him.

Truth: When you feel compelled, throw away fear, and do it.



https://www.facebook.com/patricia.strefling.author
--Patricia Strefling  copyright© 2012                                  

4 comments:

nana1945 said...

Oh my! -- This brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart profoundly -- blessings to you for your kind deed and look at the rewards -- He prayed for YOU! -- what a testimony! Hugs!

Patty

Unknown said...

Great blog Pat, all I can say is wow

Christina said...

As I was reading this, I thought of an angel in disguise. They will be in disguise you know. You acted just like Jesus.

Designs By Deblyn said...

Absolutely beautiful...I am always blessed by your sensitivity...Thank you Pat for your witness over and over again....